Thursday, April 19, 2018

Peacocks and Paint

This is a Jewel of AEthelmearc scroll made for my friend Elisabeth, who is all things wonderful.

The manuscript this was inspired by is a Gradual (songbook) from Nuremberg Germany, made in 1507-1510, MS M.905 I, fol 212r held at the Morgan Library in NY. 

I stayed fairly close to the original, the major exception being that this is not musical notation.  My hatching is not as fine as the original either, so that is something to work on. 

This was painted on my own parchment.  Ink is Speedball red and Iron Gall ink (purchased), and the paints are watercolor & gouache.  I used flat gilding as per the original, and gilder's garlic, which I will apply in thinner layers in the future.  I painted over the gold as well, as per the original manuscript.  I think in the future, I will add some egg yolk to the water based paints to make it stay a little better, but it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment