Thursday, April 19, 2018

Hun, it's the HUNS!

The Huns weren't big on flat writing in book or scroll form, at least not anything that is easily available online to a scribe in a hurry who doesn't know the culture or the terms. 
So what's a girl to do when her Barony is in need?

First I looked at what the Huns did make, and that was a whole lot of jewelry with a whole lot of gold and polished stones.  the gilded design below was inspired by a Hunnic crown, which probably belonged to a king.  I changed the eagle to Bob (raven mascot of Thescorre), and added in the feather design below. 

The writing format was taken from a later manuscript written by the direct descendants of the Huns.  It is 10th c. Irk Bitig book of divination of Dnhuag, Turkic mythology.  The spacing is a little close, but there was a lot to say and limited parchment to say it on. Rather than doing a faux font, I chose to slightly modify an uncial script. 

Not every scroll knocks it out of the park, and I'm not super-thrilled with the piece as a whole.  I like the individual elements, and I like the concept.  I think the recipient likes it as well. 

As a bonus, I got to look at a lot of really awesome jewelry that would not be out of place in a modern context.  I can really see their influence on the art in the areas that they invaded.

No comments:

Post a Comment