Thursday, April 19, 2018

1325 Brooch Blank

This project was a bit of a tangent for me.  I will eventually get back to the actual project, but the brooch was a test run for what I hope will be a group project.  Duke Timothy is interested in metal casting, and I am not.  I am however interested in making the clay or wax models to make the molds to cast the metal for the final objects.  Ultimately the goal is belt buckles, but they are more complex than the brooch - but similar concepts.  For this run, I used polymer clay.  It will work with some finagling, but it is not the best material for this purpose. 

The original brooch is in "Dress Accessories, 1150-1450" by Geoff Egan and Francis Pritchard, which details the finds from the London digs.  My version is not nearly so nice as the original, but I learned a lot, and I think I can achieve the goal of 'better next time.'

No comments:

Post a Comment