Thursday, April 19, 2018

Pouchlet Purse and Alms Purse for Mother & Daughter

I made these bags for one of the AEthelmearc Artisan Exchanges.  This was a Red exchange, where the rules are that you make the item as historically accurate as possible and provide documentation.  I had really wanted to make this particular pouchlet purse for a while, but I don't do that era myself, and it is distinctly German/lowlands, which I also don't do.  I was fortunate that the lady I got as my recipient has a trusfrau? persona and wanted a pouchlet purse. 

The leather is vegetable tanned split elk (American, not European, but still).  It is hand sewn with waxed linen thread.  I cut the leather rosettes vs. punching them, but the punch was out of my budget.  The beads are pre-18th c. though I'm not sure how much before that or what their origins are.  The only thing I failed at here was the button: I could not figure out how it worked.  I tried several configurations and none satisfied, so I left it off.

The purse itself is distinctly a woman's purse, and was most commonly worn by midwives in German and Lowlands in the late 1400's and early 1500's. The extant inspiration purse is a leather frame purse from Flanders.  The buttons are braided leather, and that was a bit of a trick to learn those knots.  Purses in Pieces is an excellent book if you are interested in making pouches and purses.


The little bag is based on German alms purses of the same period, and I made it at the last minute for her daughter.  It is not made accurately, but was designed to pass the 10' rule and give a child a place to keep her small treasures. I think it probably passes the 2' rule, and I hope it serves her well for many years. 



No comments:

Post a Comment