Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Spinster, Shepard, Sheep


I don't have a spindle problem...

Pole distaff
I don't use this one much anymore, I've switched to the tiki-torch version as it holds the fiber better.  It is incredibly easy to make.  Get a dowel and one of those little decorative toy finials from the hardware store, drill a hole in the dowel, glue the finial in and tie a ribbon around the end.  Then you can dress the distaff, etc.  If I were to do this type again, I'd add a toy wheel down the shaft to help hold the fiber. 

For the tiki torch cage distaff (thank Lois Swales, go check out her You Tube channel Missing Spindle), get a package of tiki torches, remove the canister, soak the end in a bucket, bend it out around a ring (usually comes on the torch itself), secure it, and then bend the ends in, and secure those.  Methods of securing will vary, I used floral wire and cotton string.  Neither of these are historically accurate, but they are fast and they work.  My next distaff will be proper and have a stand. 



Pre-1600 sheep breeds that may be appropriate for spinners and weavers trying to recreate extant textiles as closely as possible.  I cut off at 1600, though I did try to list the early date in the other column.  Columns are read vertically as mostly separate elements, with a few exceptions.  Be aware that this is a work in progress and not very well done.  It is also imperfect by nature of both the author and the sheep.  The breed characteristics may have migrated over the years as the purpose of the sheep have changed.  Crossbreeding also impacts wool quality, as does climate and feed.  This is only intended as a starting point to guide in wool selection when presented with heaping piles of delicious roving and fleece.  On a personal note, I LOVE spinning carpet wool.  I adore it.  I need to learn to make carpets. 

On a side note, I have seen mentions of angora rabbits being in England in the 1500's, but no solid references regarding this.  I would love to know if they are SCA period - I vaguely recall a night of insomnia reading about QEI and banning the export of the live rabbits, which would rock my fuzzy fingerless gloves off, but I have not been able to find it again.  The most solid reference in Europe is from the mid-1700's in France. 

No comments:

Post a Comment