Monday, April 10, 2017

Navajo Churro and Spanish Churra Sheep and Fleece

My adventures into this particular fleece did not take me where I expected to go.
Navajo Churro and Spanish Churra
^^ pdf. about this lovely research adventure.

This entire project was slightly disjointed, so bare with me while I try to tie all these loose strings together... 

I bought 3 Navajo Churro fleece last summer with the idea that they would work for the Greenland gown project, as all of the Icelandic fiber I could get at the time was already blended.  After spinning this up, I know it won't work for that. While it will definitely be a super-fun spin, I will use it for something else... maybe an Iberian style rug?

I was searching for another project to fill in my 5 for the Pentathalon at Ice Dragon, and Juliana suggested the sample yarn I had already spun and discounted.  I started looking, and found a wealth of totally unexpected information on the history of the breed(s).  These are the very first footsteps on what will be a very long road, and there are gaping holes in the research, but at least I can see the holes vs. having no idea where I'm going.

What I expected was something along the lines of "Hispanic settlers spun & wove & wore clothes made from this wool"  What I got was a huge international Spanish wool trade, multicultural economic powerhouses, a battle for world domination, shifting cultural identities, genocide, and finally on the brink of extinction, a way to survive in their true form - one can hope for that for both the people and the sheep.   Oh, and I get to spin some really lovely wool too.  A totally unexpected bonus was that my singles, when plied, were in the ballpark of the rug yarn - next time, more twist all around, and a worsted prep.

Ultimately I'd like to do a comparison study of the different Spanish sheep breeds, outline their economic uses and just follow the trade routes to see where these things ended up.  Since I know Merino was a major export, I'll 'travel' to London to look at the wool cloth produced there, and then Flanders for tapestries to see if I can find out if it was Churra or Merino being used there.  But more on the Churra itself to see if I can find the missing spinners and learn more about the dyers... there is a lot.  It will be fun.  I'll probably cry more.

On a side note, any time you have the opportunity to buy the fleece or fiber from a rare breed, please do so.  It supports the shepherd and gives them an economic incentive to continue the lines in their true form vs. crossing out for other qualities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment